Our activities consisted almost solely of eating and walking. I was able to introduce her to the wonder that is battered pizza. The concept of a small frozen pizza that has been battered and deep fried is equally revolting and fascinating. Frankly, I'm surprised the Minnesota State Fair hasn't picked up on this little gem yet. Not surprisingly, it is absolutely delicious, even if it makes you feel as if you're second away from a heart attack. ***Attention all concerned grown-ups who are reading this: Do not worry. Deep-fried pizza is not representative of my typical diet. I assure you that I do, in fact, eat vegetables***
On Saturday we stopped at one of my favorite coffee shops for a yummy breakfast and continued on to the Edinburgh Farmer's Market. Since it's not really the season for produce, most of the vendors are selling meat and cheese. After that we walked around the castle for a bit and then proceeded to walk down the entire Royal Mile. Along the way we saw some interesting sights and people, including a man dressed as William Wallace asking for donations for what I'm sure was a very worthy cause. Two gems we stumbled across were the antique map and print dealer and the antique children's book store.
Arriving at the end of Royal Mile, we gawked at the bizarre Scottish Parliament building and poked our heads through the gates of Holyrood, the Queen's official residence in Scotland.
On our way back up we popped into the Edinburgh Museum. We were expecting much, but were pleasantly surprised with the exhibits. We were especially pleased when we found the "activity room" which housed baskets of craft supplies and coloring sheets as well as historical dress-up costumes. We both agreed that it would be to our academic and cultural benefit if we stayed for a while and colored paper models of historic townhouses. This is one of the murals/wall hangings from said activity room:
We also ventured up to Calton Hill which boasts an odd assemblage of monuments and memorials in addition to some stunning view of the city and the sea. Here a couple pictures, the rest can be found in the Photographic Snippets album.

6 comments:
"I'm surprised the Minnesota State Fair hasn't picked up on this little gem yet."
Pffft! Ye of little faith... Note especially the Fair Food Finder: search the "On-A-Stick" category for "pizza" -- 9 results.
hmph. well from the looks of that pizza in the video, it is a different beast entirely...and now I want a corn dog.
lj: Glad to discover that you are such a good reference librarian at heart.
mn: Thanks for more posts. Did you get the NL article about fish & chips?
Thanks for the posts, and can you believe that I think I might never have noticed that your initials are MN? Like Minnesota? Weird, right?
Love the concept of fried pizza, please add that to my growing lists of foods I want you to smuggle back in for me.
I know, right? It's like I was destined to end up there.
I'll see what I can do about smuggling the fried pizza. Worst case scenario I'll just have to eat some extra for you.
Can I just say that the title of the blog entry is so perfect. I feel honored to have my name in the same sentence as deep-fried pizza.
Post a Comment