Sunday, April 4, 2010

Springtime continued

Due to the not so subtle hints in my mother's emails that I haven't been posting enough, I'm going to try and get caught up with this whole blog business. First of all, let's begin with some small talk about the weather (wouldn't want to dive right into the heavy-hitting subjects, after all). Last week while it was bright, sunny, and in the upper 70's in Missouri and Minnesota, it snowed here. I was already planning on lying low Monday and Tuesday to recuperate from our trip to Belfast and bask in the glory of spring break. This was only furthered when I woke up and saw big, fluffy flakes falling from the sky and covering the ground. Naturally I did what any sensible person on spring break would do when I saw this - I burrowed under the covers and went back to sleep.

Luckily the snow melted quickly and it seems that nasty weather has left us for a bit. Lately it's been lovely and sunny with only occasional rain and gloom. The crocuses have subsided only to be replaced with countless daffodils. Since I wouldn't want to be scolded by the police again for pinching flowers (more on that in the post about the Belfast trip) I bought a bunch at the grocery store. They opened up beautifully and are doing their very best to brighten up my room.



Doing a rather good job, aren't they? And now to continue the trend where I include relevant gobbits (one of my favorite British terms) from things I've been reading. This poem by A.E. Housman has been rattling around in my head for the past week or two and seems especially fitting since it's Easter (Happy Easter by the way! I hope you all enjoyed a chocolate egg or two...or seven, but who's counting, right?) Anyway, here's the poem:

Loveliest of trees, the cherry now
Is hung with bloom along the bough,
And stands about the woodland ride
Wearing white for Eastertide.
Now, of my threescore years and ten,
Twenty will not come again,
And take from seventy springs a score,
It only leaves me fifty more.
And since to look at things in bloom
Fifty springs is little room,
About the woodlands I will go
To see the cherry hung with snow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lovely photo of daffodils. Can't wait to hear about your encounter with Belfast law.